R. Clay Simmons was an example of the finest in community and business leadership. The R. Clay Simmons Exemplary Enterprise Award recognizes a chamber business that has made outstanding contributions to the community and has manifested superior business practices. Created in 1995, this award is given annually to a chamber business in the greater Starkville area by the R. Clay Simmons Foundation through the Starkville Area Chamber of Commerce. Firms eligible for the award must be for-profit and may be any size.
Applications must be received by 3:00 p.m. on Wednesday, November 24, 2021
Criteria for Selection
The following criteria should be addressed as the application is prepared. These criteria are not all-inclusive, as additional descriptions and details may also be used.
- CIVIC INVOLVEMENT
- Participation by the firm in community advancement activities.
- Participation by owners and employees in civic and religious organizations and activities.
- EDUCATIONAL ADVANCEMENT
- Involvement by the firm in institutions, organizations, and activities devoted to advance education in the area.
- Involvement by owners and employees in institutions, organizations, and activities devoted to advancing education in the community.
- ECONOMIC DEVELOPMENT
- Participation by the firm in economic development activities.
- Creation of new jobs in the community.
- Expansion in production or services output and additions of capital facilities and equipment.
- Participation by owners and employees in economic development activities.
- BUSINESS PRACTICES
- Extent of development of sound management and marketing practices.
- Innovativeness and creativity
- Awards and recognition to the firm or to owners or employees
Past Award Recipients
2020 Strange Brew Coffeehouse
2019 Northeast Exterminating
2018 Starkville Radiology
2017 Renasant Bank
2016 Eat Local Starkville
2015 Eat With Us Group
2014 Mark Castelberry/Castle Properties
2013 Cadence Bank
2011 Tabor Construction & Development
2009 Prudential Starkville Properties
2008 Thomas Shelton Jones & Associates
2007 T. E. Lott and Company
2006 Bell Building Supply
2005 The Book Mart
2004 East Mississippi Lumber Company
2003 Coldwell Banker SRE Realtors
2002 John Robert Arnold
2001 Robin Fant, Bulldog Deli
2000 VanLandingham Lumber Company
1999 Sullivan’s Office Supply
1998 National Bank of Commerce
1997 C. C. Clark, Inc.
1996 Millsaps Chev-Pontiac-Buick-GMC
1995 Mullins Department Store
Selection of Award Winner
The GSDP Executive Board will review the applicants and select the winner. The award will be presented at the annual banquet of the Greater Starkville Development Partnership on February 8, 2022.